Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Make It // Kelly Wearstler Inspired Pottery


It's no secret that I'm a bit infatuated of late with rocks and minerals and with this latest project, I think I've successfully incorporated them into nearly every room in the house. The project I'm about to share didn't initially start out in this direction. I had actually spotted a different project on Design Sponge and visited the craft store with that in mind. By the end of my trip, I had the stones and epoxy in my basket and charged off down a completely new path. In the end, the Wearstler-inspired pottery I concocted was the final result I was always looking to achieve in the first place.


Once I got the stones adhered to the face of my pottery (helpful tip: secure with a little painter's tape until they set), I decided to go back over the pottery with a little gold leafing. Gold leafing is new to me, but it could not have been more simple. I think the flakes vs. some of the other liquid options available contributed some additional texture and dimension. 

The rhodonite beads do have some small holes for threading and though I originally thought I'd fill them in, they really don't bother me much with this project. I may opt for some rough cut minerals instead of the tumbled look here in future evolutions I'm considering. For now, I'm really happy with the result.



SHARE:

5 comments

Trissta said...

Oooh! I'm totally loving it! I want one of those!!!!! Now if only I had some spare time and money laying around.... Definitely a fan of this.

Much Love,
Trissta

Anonymous said...

I have been obsessed with Kelly Wearstler pottery but there is no way I could ever buy one. I am so glad you posted about this. I totally could do this too!! xoxo

Sadie + Stella said...

Love it girl! You are so hip!

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

love it! I love KW and those vases!! You did an amazing job with yours. I love the cactus too...the whole look is edgy and cool.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

OK, I missed this, and now am pinning it. So cool looking.

© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig