Thursday, October 4, 2012

Staghorn Ferns


I can't say that staghorn ferns are among the most beautiful things I've ever seen, but I'm certainly captivated by them. Curious is more the word. On my last trip to Rogers Gardens, I stopped dead in my tracks when confronted by an entire wall of them displayed under a pergola. A plant, seemingly growing from a bulbous cocoon straight out of the side of a wall is something of an oddity for sure. 

While I'll never be a collector of exotic species, my garden plan incorporates a lot of plants not typically found in the aisles at my local Home Depot. It keeps things interesting, but truth be told, growing and maintaining some of the more obscure varieties has really tested my gardening skills. I've killed more plants this year than I care to admit.

Maybe that is one of the reasons why I've held out so long on purchasing a staghorn. They've just always seemed complicated. But the idea of displaying a small mounted collection has been growing on me. 







They are available to purchase, already mounted and ready to hang from a specialty garden center like Rogers or shops like Terrain or even Etsy.

But I'm thinking I might go all out and mount my own staghorn trophies. Martha broke it down pretty nicely and provides some great step by step tutorials at marthastewart.com.

Potted baby staghorns can also be purchased online at places like Fern Factory and Logees Greenhouse.

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7

SHARE:

No comments

© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig