Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Carving Out Some Girl Space in a Shared Space


I've never been a particularly girly girl. Truth be told, I'm pretty no-fuss when it comes to dressing for the day or even when going out for the evening. I have dreams of a proper fall wardrobe, but in all likelihood won't spend a lot of time scouting designer clothes at my local mall or pinning looks on Pinterest. But sometimes I want to be that girly girl and it's never been more so as it has during the last year of renovations on Holtwood House. I'll go weeks and weeks, donning a "uniform" of yoga pants, a t-shirt and pony-tail and consecutive weekends hauling debris, digging up dirt or battling hang-nails at my sewing machine, only to finally catch a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror and wonder how I could have let myself go.

It was during one of those reality checks when I resolved to put at least half as much into my appearance as I am our home. But I knew that if I was going to re-commit, I'd have to make it easy and so I turned to outfitting an small area where all my girly adornments could be easily accessed and displayed as a constant reminder.


We had this old entertainment armoire that I decided to re-purpose and use as an extended accessories closet in our bedroom. I have plans to re-finish it properly, but I ditched the shaker style knobs in favor of a little brass in the meantime and moved my jewels, heels and scents right on in. 

I addressed a couple of functional elements first, adding a shelf for shoes and hooks from which to wrangle up all my neckwear.



Earrings and cocktail rings are easily retrieved from velvet covered trays and porcelain bowls placed on the pull out shelf below.  


At some point, I'll probably add a light and flank the doors and sidewalls with some pretty paper. For now, it's serving me well as my own little girly space amongst our shared space.

SHARE:

2 comments

The Peak of Tres Chic said...

What a great idea! I love the idea of using an armoire to store all your girly things. So pretty!

Celine said...

Super awesome!!!

© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig