Monday, February 11, 2013

Grab Some Wood There Bub


This is a post about some really great grains, beautiful stains and one big ol' pain.

Throughout our renovations process, I've noticed that once in a while, whether by way of some  magical cosmic plan or by sheer coincidence, multiple and otherwise unrelated projects will collide into a singular and consistent focus. Right now, Holtwood House projects concern all things wood.

Today,  I thought I'd share with you all the planing, staining and splintering happening around these parts.

Project One
What: Wood 'privacy' Screen
Where: Front of the house

I recently told you about the screen we are working on out front. For two years now, we've envisioned the day when we would choose our lumber and get to work on this baby and over the weekend, we took our first step.

There are several lumber yards in our area, but working off a tip, we decided to take a road-trip out to Peterman Lumber in Fontana, Ca to peruse their selection of domestic and exotic hardwoods.

The verdict: a must visit if you are in the So Cal area and are looking for something special. We found exactly what we needed (at no additional cost) and did not have to have our wood custom milled like we would have had we gone locally.

There was so much to see at Peterman. Intricate moulding, reclaimed wood, exotics like zebra wood, balsa (whoa- there are some fun projects to be had there) and just about every variety of mahogany under the sun all caught my eye.

For our purposes, we honed right in on their selection of pristine redwood- free of any knots or imperfections and serendipitously found the exact cuts and lengths among the pile (see first image).

Next steps on this project: build it!

Project Two
What: Custom Counter height dining table
Where: 'Formal' dining area



There are other projects that have been worth the wait as well. Take this custom dining table that is nearing the final stages and will soon be up on it's legs. We purchased the raw pieces of African Mahogany some time ago and had a knowledgeable friend glue and frame it up for us. But, while other projects beckoned, there it sat untouched for the better part of the last year, a glaring reminder of yet another project that had to be completed.

We wanted a particular kind of finish on this baby- polished, but matte. We also had to consider that any product we applied would change the color of the wood. I did a lot of research into just how we should go about finishing it and in the end, deferred to my favorite experts Morgan and Anna for the 411.  Over several days, I finely sanded and applied several coats of Danish Oil (in natural) before polishing with four coats of Howards Feed + Wax. So happy with the outcome!

Next Steps on this project: Order the custom hairpin legs and get it on it's feet.

Project Three
What: Stain Perimeter Fence
Where: Backyard





We also got to work on staining the 150 feet of back fence.
25 feet down.
Suffice it to say, I slept with a heating pad last night.

We chose Behr's 'Slate' and by Spring, when the yard has recovered, the plants are going to look amazing against this smoky backdrop.

Next steps on this project: Take it one day, one panel at a time until complete.

SHARE:

5 comments

Kristen said...

OMG, I'm so excited to see all these projects come together! MUST check out that place, looks amazing! You are way more patient than I am, as soon as I had that beautiful table top ready I'd be DYING to have it finished! I get a bit obsessive lol.

Trissta said...

Wohoo! Lots of projects in the works! I can't wait to see some progress shots of how they're all going from here!

Much Love,
Trissta

Albertina || MimosaLane said...

Wao! Your level of DIY is way beyond anything I could ever do. Your privacy screen image is stunning. I love wood on the horizontal vs. the vertical. I can't wait to see when its up. That wood table is also beautiful...can't wait for the legs. I'm so impressed with your abilities. Ooohh.....and the cake....you have to make it....everyone will love you for it :) thanks for the recommendation.

Jill Brandenburg said...

Hi - I just came across your post. How is the stained fence holding up? I am about to do mine. Also did the stain bleed through to the other side? I look forward to hearing from you

Unknown said...

I am also just seeing your post. Would love to see how everything looks todate. I live about 30 min from Fontana. Will definitely visit that lumber yard.

© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig