Monday, July 8, 2013

Summer Bucket List

It's amazing how fast time flies when your having fun. Now on the backside of the Independence Day holiday here in the States, it feels like those long awaited for days of summer are quickly slipping away. The weekend calendar is starting to fill up through the remaining weeks and I have a feeling we'll be looking at cooler temperatures and falling leaves before we know it. 

 I woke up this morning and reminded myself of all the things I really want to make happen before summer comes to an end, all those things I daydream about in front of my computer all year long (I tend to romanticize summer- you know what I mean?). I don't want to add unnecessary stress by forcing more things to fit into our schedule, so I narrowed it down to just three. 

Here are the things I've earmarked as priorities on my summer bucket list.

I think those who live outside of California imagine that we spend all of our time at the beach. Not true. I currently live 20 minutes from the shoreline (and not too long ago just a bike ride away) and I can count the number of times I've waded through the sand and into the water over the last five years on one hand. With the pool now beckoning outside my back door, I fear those beloved days at the beach could slip further out of my reach if I don't work harder for them. 

I love a good adventure, but truth be told, just not the good old fashioned pitch-a-tent and camp type. Oh, I can rough it, but camping out in the backwoods would make me feel a little too vulnerable and unsafe I think- not the makings for a pleasurable time away. Perhaps I just need to ease into it? A tent hotel seems an agreeable compromise. The mid-century styled one above is located in Marfa, Texas and is right up my alley. But if we can make this happen, we'll probably go local


Part and parcel with the romance of summer is all of the entertaining opportunities that it brings. These days, we're pretty casual around here - we typically set up some version of a buffet structured around pool-friendly fare- tacos, sandwiches, tacos and more tacos...  I'd really like to mix it up though and gather all of our friends for one sit down dinner under the stars. Between work and family commitments, our group is so busy these days that it's tough to get everyone together all at once anymore. If we can make this happen, it will likely be in the final days of summer, while the night air is still warm and family vacations have ended. It'd be the perfect way to close out the season.

What is on your summer bucket list?

SHARE:

4 comments

Kristen said...

LOVE all of these ideas. I totally romanticize summer as well. It's so true about the beach thing. While I am always driving down to see the ocean or shop and eat in Laguna I think it has actually been years since I have gone in! Def something I need to make some time for!

Anonymous said...

great list! I've always been surrounded by water being in Michigan, but rarely seize the opportunity to go in it. And I second you with the whole tent thing. Not my thing. Hope you get to cross these off your list soon :)

Unknown said...

Oh I love that idea of glamping, although I am not sure my fiance would like it, he is the more rugged t ype:) Summer bucket list includes going to the beach a few more times!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

You are so right...summer feels like it is slipping away. I love your list, it includes friends and fun. Hope you make it happen.

© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig