Wednesday, September 4, 2013

DIY // Decorative Brass Objet


My interest in design often leads me to some beautiful finds. There are some things I spot right away and quickly figure out how to assemble a sufficient DIY. Others, I save up for and purchase when the time is right. Then there are those that I covet for longer periods of time while I weigh out the possibilities of a purchase I might someday splurge on. My inspiration for this project was one such piece of brass and marble goodness I had hoped to acquire someday, at some point. But as these things go, I realized someday would not be soon enough, which then forced me to figure out how I might achieve an inspired version of my very own.

Here, I'll show you how I created a brass objet, similar to the one of my affection in just a few simple steps. But first, let me reveal the inspiration:
 
My DIY version below uses materials easily sourced from your local hardware store.  Though it's sculpted from tubular brass rods, a concrete base stands in for the high-brow polished marble in the inspiration version. 


Now, here's the step by step to make your own...


I wanted a slightly more polished look so did take some Brasso cream and a soft rag to my finished design. I took further inspiration from Kristen Nix's styling and paired mine with one of my black and white paintings, some stacked boxes, a hunk of amethyst and some other shapely accessories. I wanted the brass look, but I also think this would be really cool sprayed rose gold or black. 


*All photos above credited to Holtwood Hipster with the exception of the two inspiration images: Kristen Nix's Houston Home featured on Sukio and Turbine Brass Sculpture by Plantation Design


SHARE:

11 comments

Anonymous said...

this is a gorgeous diy! the end result looks stunning :)

Unknown said...

Wow, I am impressed! Looks like a piece of art!

My Interior Life said...

Saw this on Instagram and just had to come check it out. Amazing! I might have to try this one myself as I've long coveted these brass sculptures as well. Fantastic DIY!

Hannah said...

Omg AMAZING! You would never know it's DIY!

Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

Oh yes!!! Its beautiful! SO impressed! I'm saving this one as it really inspired me to try it!!

Melissa Crochet @ The Insane Domain said...

I can't wait to get to the hardware store! This looks like this is actually something my spaz self could do.

Unknown said...

Really, really awesome!

Preciously Me said...

Great DIY!!! Congratulations, you're so talented :)

Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said...

I love it!

Trissta said...

GENIUS. I have been dreaming of doing a lamp with a concrete base, and this just might do the trick for me! Thanks, lady!

Much Love,
Trissta

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

So fantastic! This is one of those things that make you say, why didn't I think of this?

© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig