Friday, December 2, 2011

Handmade Homage: Part 2 {Behind the Scenes}

So I thought I'd wrap up the week by sharing some of the inspiration and specific elements behind the party I crafted back in October.
It all started here.



While considering the direction I'd take with this latest soiree, I knew right away that I wanted it to be unique and a bit unexpected. My aesthetic usually skews modern with clean lines and a limited color palette.  Often I aim to let good tasting, well presented food, an eclectic playlist, thoughtful lighting and free flowing drinks provide the required flair- not necessarily added adornment.

But this party would specifically cater to an entire family's excitement for their upcoming baby and I felt it important to make things visually interesting and interactive for my niece and nephew who were excited, but a little nervous about how a new baby would impact their lives.  They come to enough adult-friendly soirees here at the house so I wanted to be sure this one would specifically speak to them.




Once I had landed on hosting something Fall inspired to compliment the October date, the eventual concept sort of flowed rather easily. Lush feathers and nests of rough foliage would help play up the role of a nesting Stork that would eventually bring Baby Hailey. A backdrop of warm woods, some vintage brass, a little folk through whimsical floral patterns and gilded pumpkins would help complete the woodland fantasy.  Ultimately, much of it would be handmade. Some of the seasonal decorations like pumpkins placed around the house would be carried into the party as well. The holidays were right around the corner and this Hipster was on a budget.



Every "Soiree Styler" has their own. It typically goes like this for me:


Then comes something like this:



Then any handmade elements come into play.


In the end, most of the things I set out to do were accomplished- but some things I had planned were not. It happens. I try not to beat myself up about it- just stash it away for the next spectacular fete! The most important part of the day was that my sister and her growing family felt loved. We had a full house of family and friends, all there to share in the excitement as we waited for Hailey to make her appearance. 

Most Via: Holtwood Hipster/ Mood Board Images Via: Pinterest
SHARE:

2 comments

The Glam Lamb said...

Oh I am so excited you left a comment on my blog so that I got to find you!! Fab blog. Love this post. I am throwing a huge holiday party on the 17th - so this give me lots of inspiration!!!

xoxo
Hallie
http://glamlamb.com

Erin | Holtwood Hipster said...

Awesome! Thanks Hallie for stopping by! You'll have to check back to see the latest party project already in progress. We're hard at work on New Year's!

© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig