Monday, June 16, 2014

Cornflake - Marshmallow - Chocolate Chip Cookies

Celebratory holidays always call for a special dessert. We played host to Father's Day festivities here at Holtwood House. So I rose early Sunday morning to whip up a batch of some very special cookies based on a recipe by Christina Tosi of 'Momofuku Milk Bar' fame to mark the occasion. These cookies are soft and gooey, crisp and crunchy - a win/win to please a table full of family members with varying opinions on just how they like their chocolate chip cookie. They required a few out of the ordinary steps and a watchful eye, but I'm here to tell you that the end result is worth the extra effort. The hardest part of preparing these cookies will be holding out and waiting for dessert before you tear into them (and I can tell you that four of my family members- you know who you are- did not). 

I always take time to read user reviews before embarking on a new recipe. While I usually try and stick closely to the original version, the reviews on this particular recipe equipped me with information I used to my advantage in developing a modified ingredient list below. I reduced the granulated sugar, added a 1/2 cup to the flour and because I realized mid-way through preparation that I was out - substituted almond extract for vanilla. I also was out of baking soda and in lieu of that, upped the amount of baking powder just a bit based on some online advice.  I'm pretty sure this last modification helped these sugary cookies to rise just the way they outta. Outside of that, I followed the step by step directions as is right from the Martha Stewart website where I saw the original recipe published.





INGREDIENTS //
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons coarse salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups Cornflake Crunch* (prepare this first- see below)
2/3 cup mini Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 1/4 cups mini Marshmallows

* CORNFLAKE CRUNCH //
1/2 (12-ounce) box cornflakes (about 5 cups)
1/2 cup milk powder
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon coarse salt
9 tablespoons melted butter



A few more pointers based on my own experience with this recipe:

- Reduce your baking time. I had my hand on the oven waiting to pull these at the 9-minute mark. They were out when the edges just started to turn crisp right at 11 minutes.

- Equal portions in each scoop. Try and make sure you have the same amount of marshmallow and chocolate in every scoop. Those with more marshmallow or chocolate had a more gooey consistency and the edges almost mimicked a caramelized florentine style cookie.

- Scoop and cool the dough first. It's important to use cooled dough that's been in the fridge a minimum of 1 hour. I left my scoops in the fridge for two before baking them off.

Seriously. The best cookie I've ever had.  I hoarded one away and I'm already counting the hours before I can gobble it up for dessert tonight.
SHARE:

No comments

© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig