Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Make This // An Upholstered Faux-Leather Bed



The looming launch date for the next The One Room Challenge (beginning this week!), lit a little fire under my feet to get this long-promised tutorial up on the blog. Today, I'm sharing a step by step to make the faux leather bed I made for the ORC back in the Fall when I made over our master bedroom.

I owe the success of this project to two items on my materials list - the french cleat hanging system that enables a fully supported bed frame without the need to build out a larger wood skeleton and also the buttery look and feel of some very 'looks like the real' thing vinyl, that I was able to score for a song here locally.  This project comes together quickly, relatively inexpensively and best of all - easy. You can do this with just the very few materials listed below.




In addition to those listed, you will also need to start with a standard metal mattress frame. You will be connecting the side boards to this using the french cleat. Note that while the bottom of the frame will typically not have this "bar" to hang the end board from, you will be connecting all three sides together using the corner braces so it will be fully supported. 

You do not need to invest in pretty boards for this project. Source the most inexpensive common pine boards and plywood you can from your local Home Improvement store. Do invest in your faux leather yardage. Though I found mine at a discount home fabric outlet, I have provided a good online source in  links (I actually have swatches in hand to validate the quality). 





The basic concept and the construction of the bed is simple - you'll be upholstering the face and sides of the headboard (I did not account for material to upholster the back as it sits up against a wall), then the sides as well. The upholstered headboard will sit up against your wall, on the floor. The remainder of the upholstered bed frame will hang securely around the bed base and eventually slide up to meet the headboard. 



You may also choose to bolt your headboard to the top of the metal mattress frame (there are usually pre-drilled holes in the metal for such a purpose). I did not find that step necessary.  Additionally, I have provided steps and measurements for our queen sized bed set up. Use these as a guide, but double check all measurements both before you buy the materials and then again before you begin cutting your yardage and upholstering. I actually came up a half a yard short lengthwise when making my own, which forced me to sew together shorter pieces for the sides. It was a happy accident for me as I ended up preferring this stitched seam detail on the face of my sideboards. The instructions here do not call for this step and the additional half yard of fabric has been added.



When putting the frame together, just remember that the end-board will fit between the two sides and then be braced with the corner brackets.




The frame is easily removed for cleaning and linen changing if needed (I covered our box spring in a pin-stripe that I occasionally remove and launder). 




We've been so pleased to finally have a fully upholstered bed at a fraction of the cost for a similar style. To see the final room design from the Fall '14 round of The One Room Challenge, created and hosted by Linda of Calling It Home, click here.
SHARE:

3 comments

celine@aquahaus said...

So amazing!! I want to do something like this so badly!

Unknown said...

Wow. I love love love your blog. Your photos are so absolutely stunning and I can tell you spend a lot of time adding the text and graphics. Looks absolutely fabulous!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig