Thursday, April 3, 2014

Guest Bath Redux (Week 1) // One Room Challenge Link-Up


I'm always inspired by the dramatic transformations my favorite design bloggers come up with as part of the annual One Room Challenge, created by the amazing Linda of Calling it Home. Today, I'm joining in on all the fun as a linking participant to share a one room transformation of my very own with all of you. Over the next 6 weeks, I will be partying it up with others linking in and will unfold a behind the scenes look at a Phase Two renovation on our primary guest bath. 


My budget is slim, so I'll need to be really resourceful in making my bathroom reno dreams come to fruition. For this Week 1 post, I'll give you some hints on the direction I'll be taking. 
But first, a little context. 
When we moved into our 1967 Rancher 3 years ago, we immediately tackled some of the more unsightly elements of our guest bathroom. We were having ceiling and lighting work done prior to move in so we took that opportunity to get rid of the bathroom soffit and fluorescent lighting it housed above the 7 foot vanity. Initial budget spread far and wide, we always knew we'd have to live with the black laminate counters, mismatched shower doors and aging square bath tile for a while. So we gave it a good scrub, painted it up and added some shiny new hardware. In year two, I gussied it up a bit with some fun, deco-inspired striping on the walls and there it has remained, waiting at the back of the line behind other, more critical projects. 

I started to formulate some ideas for the Phase 2 reno and came to the conclusion that we could easily take this room to the next level with just a few inexpensive, high impact projects, a little elbow grease and of course, my long suffering with this never ending house renovation, but always willing to lend a hand... Dad.  So I squeezed this one onto our Spring 2014 punch list and decided a 6 week blog deadline would be the perfect strategy to help bring a project I couldn't wait to tackle back up to the front of the line.  




As for the plan, I'm taking this baby far out into the California desert to sync up with other design-work around the house -  a bit more modern and a little bit luxe.  I'll be embracing most of what we already have, though much of it will undoubtedly have an entirely new look. There will be DIY projects galore, dictated partially by budget and partially by my own naive notion that I can do almost anything myself. I'm sure there will be a meltdown or two, a few glasses of wine and some long days and nights to get 'er done in 6 weeks. But I'm up for the challenge (and you know, Dad says he'll help with the big stuff). 

Meet you back here next Thursday for a progress report.
SHARE:

11 comments

aquahaus said...

Erin! Love your plans. This is gonna be great! Just like all of your projects! xo

Unknown said...

Dizang, the old bathroom ain't even bad! This should be fun!

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

I love your inspiration ideas! Especially the middle bathroom. You can totally pull it off. So, excited to see the progress!

Anonymous said...

I love your inspiration images and can totally envision your current bathroom transforming. Looking forward to following along!

Rebecca { MyDarlingHouse} said...

The inspiration pics are gorgeous! Excited to follow along! Thank goodness for Dads, without mine half the stuff in my house wouldn't be done!

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

The inspiration is just awesome! I think the luxe-modern is really perfect for bathrooms. Can't wait to see this unfold.

Kristen said...

Can't wait to see it all come together! Looks like you have made some progress already!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Hi Erin, wow it feels like everyone has a handy dad, except for me. Lucky you. This should be a really cool transformation. Your MLS pic looks like it is right out of Vegas..70's. Thanks for joining in.

Tiffany said...

Your plan is gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out:)

House of Pemberley said...

I love the inspiration photos. I know it is going to be gorgeous. The original bathroom...yikes...

kate@willowinteriors said...

How fun! I can't wait to see what you come up with! Good luck!

© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig