Thursday, April 17, 2014

Guest Bath Redux // Week 3 One Room Challenge Link Up


It's time to link up for Week 3 of The One Room Challenge and today I'm sharing more developments on what we are calling our Guest Bath Redux. A 6-week deadline is motivation enough for steady progress and wouldn't you know, we're moving right along with this renovation and have finally gotten into some of the prettier moments and lighter DIY projects. 

Not caught up yet? You can always read more about the game plan (Week 1) and the most impactful change to come out of this renovation (Week 2) in earlier posts.



----------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps we should really be talking paint colors before accessories, but that post will have to wait. You see, I'm holding out on the paint discussion because that will also involve the vanity and well... I'm just not yet ready to reveal that perfect little piece of this puzzle. So let's get to some of the other ways we're working to achieve our desert.modern.luxe vibe for this galley bath. 

Gold Leaf Mirrors
I took an evening and gold leafed both of the existing Ikea Grundtahl mirrors. I had kicked around the idea of spray paint, but decided in the end that the result would be too flat and not really arrive at the right contrast I was hoping for against the pristine white breadboard backdrop. I opted instead to apply Gold Leaf sheets and even left some of the areas around the frame looking a bit distressed. 



Vanity Stool
I've had a deco style vanity stool sitting alongside the tub for months now. I had picked it up on a whim at Home Goods, sure that I'd eventually give it a little makeover. While most of the other elements in the space will remain neutral, I'm looking to add a little pop of pattern or color to the room through this stool. Those chrome legs might even end up gold. I'm still up in the air on that one, just as I am the final pattern for the seat, though I'm currently floating several potential solutions.


 Gold Pendants
Speaking of gold, the commercial grade stainless finish on our IKEA pendants (discontinued) got made over with my favorite Rustoleum spray paint. The shiny gold bases are the start of the mixed metal look that I'm planning to weave throughout the bath. We saved a little dough by recycling the fixtures, while  achieving an elevated look in just a couple of quick coats. Win, win. 


  Shower Doors
Sayonara you dated and mismatched shower doors. Oh I couldn't wait to get rid of you! True, their absence now reveals a dated square tile backsplash, but I'm going to make lemons from that lemonade. The tile is white and in good shape, as is the tub so I'll be polishing that 80's tile job up and will make do for the next 5 or 6 years until we are ready to really renovate the shower area. For now, it's appealing to my love of all things "geometric" and it's staying.

So that's where we are at the half-way point on this project.  Next week, I'll let you in on the some of big makeover changes happening along that 7 foot vanity. 

Until then, be sure to check out some of the progress by my determined and talented blogger friends linking up with Linda today over at Calling it Home.


Follow along on Instagram for continued ORC progress and sneak peeks!
SHARE:

7 comments

Darci Towns said...

Loving the fabric selections! Can't wait to see what's in store with the paint and vanity!

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

that was an ikea light? So cute!! I love it gold! and I think the gold leafing for the mirrors will be perfect! You guys are working so hard there! Love it all

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness...LOVING this!!! The paneled walls are amazing and I adore the IKEA pendant, mirror and stool. Can't wait to see this come together!

celine@aquahaus said...

You are killing it! The light looks great, and man, those walls are magical. xoxo

kate@willowinteriors said...

Yup, still loving the paneled walls! Love the gold additions!

Eman sherkawy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandwich Recipes said...

Awesome blog youu have here

© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig