Thursday, May 4, 2017

ONE ROOM CHALLENGE // WEEK 5 // MODERN RANCH-STYLE KITCHEN


It's Week 5 of the One Room Challenge and I have a brief progress update for you on my ranch-style kitchen makeover. It's busy times over here! Afterall, I have just one week to go to make sure all the puzzle pieces come together for my design before revealing the final look to you all next Thursday! I actually plan on shooting the room over the weekend, so that means I'll be burning the midnight oil at the end of my real work day for the next couple of nights. 


Here's what's happened since we last checked in:


If you're following along on Instagram, you might have seen a sneak peek at the glassware cabinet display I was building out last Sunday. I'm pretty pleased with how the glassware contrasts against the new black background. Clearly, I'm approaching hoarder status with my glassware collection. But I can assure you that it gets used by many and often during get togethers and dinner parties. 

 There are many aspects of this room I'm already proud of. But the wood counters I sanded down and finished myself are near the top of the list. I researched endlessly to make sure I'd use the right product to protect them from wear and tear and landed on Waterlox. We're in CA so the only formula we can get our hands on is a Low VOC formula. I was nervous considering every reviewer I found online had used the regular formula. But man, this stuff went on easy and with a little elbow grease, buffed out to perfection. Its smooth as butter you guys and the beading I saw when water tested it gives me confidence that this will hold up to our daily use.



Also at the top of that list - the striped bench cushion I completed last Saturday. I'd stared at our dining bench purchased in a bonded leather for years, imaging it in bathed in stripes and now - it is. Contrast piping and everything guys... 


Our pantry makeover also came together last weekend and I've spent the last several nights organizing and restocking. My husband and I built out the Oak sliding shelves ourselves. The stain actually ties it in with the adjacent wood countertop just to the left of this cabinet. I can't wait to show you next week in the full room reveal!



I realized over the course of this week that I did not give you much of a glimpse into our purchases for the room. We worked a lot with what we had, but this remodel was also a step up from the interim makeover we had completed when we bought the house 6 years ago, so it was time for some upgrades.


 So that's where we are in Week 5. Next Thursday, I'll be sharing the final reveal with you all and I'm very excited to show you what has been accomplished in a short 6 weeks.

Be sure to check out all the other guest participants over at Calling It Home. The last week is always rough and they can use some moral support as they work to cross the finish line.



SHARE:
© Holtwood Hipster. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig